Saturday, July 31, 2010

I need some planning advice, help please!?

My friend is 19 and I will be 18 really soon. When I do turn 18 over summer, me and my friend plan to accomplish something big, which is bike (not motorbike, just a regular bike) from washington state to LA. We've done some calculations and it seems that if we keep going a certain, and doable, amount of miles each day, we can make it there on the time we expect to be there. We'd start collecting money now and by then, make sure we have a nice good amount on ourselves by that time. This is something I feel like I need to do in my life, it'd be complicated to explain how and why and everything, I'm committed to it though. We're training and conditioning these days right now for it on bike also. Is there anything I can know about doing something like this, like maybe someone out there has a long trip tale they can share to offer advice or anything? Or anything I can just know that could help out?I need some planning advice, help please!?
It's good that someone your age has a goal like that :)





My only advice, since I live in a family of bikers, is that you work on building up your lung strength. Cause traveling that far can take a tole on you. And make sure to keep your self in peak physical condition... So eat healthy, ride around as much as you can where you live, and keep yourself hydrated on your trip





other then that you sound like your set! :)I need some planning advice, help please!?
happy trails! lmao good luck.


ur gona need it=)
I'm kinda envious... you guys are living out my bike dream! I've been planning for years now (but time isn't in my favor) to bike the Pacific Coast Highway. The Pacific Coast Highway, also known as Highway 101, runs the entire length of Washington, Oregon and California. Most cyclists start in Tillamook, Oregon and go from north to south to put the winds at their backs. There are books out there that you can buy or borrow from the library, which have experiences of many other bikers who have gone all the way from Washington to California or even Mexico. I would elect to camp whenever possible to cut down costs. I've referenced a few websites, hope it helps! You'll have to read-up by yourselves and become familiar with what it is that you want to see and make plans accordingly. :)





On a side note, you have to be very alert and prepared to bike the PCH... there have been rare cases of bikers ending up in motor vehicle-related accidents, especially as you get closer to LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment