Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Someone HELP, Need advice, what should I do??!!?

Ok, bought a 1997 Pontiac Bonnieville last year - Ran Great!


Then...


My registeration was due and I took it to get a smog...


Didn't pass, codes on the failed smog was for 2 things


1) Map sensor (turns out I didn't have one at all)


2) TPSensor (needed to be replaced)


Before I fixed those I went and got a diagnostic, which concluded that the 2 things above were bad as well as manifold gasket and that the ****** that sold it to me unscrewed the check engine light.


So in reality the engine light had been on since I had the car





Then I replaced all that was broken with the car (Map, TPS, Gasket, engine light, as well as tran flush, oil change, etc..








Took it to pass smog and EVERYTHING passed, only thing was that someone had unhooked the battery and I was told by the Smog Tech that I needed to drive 60-80miles to reboot comp, then it will pass.





65mile later my checjk engine light came back on





SOOO Question is:


What the HELL should I do???








I don't want to sell it buSomeone HELP, Need advice, what should I do??!!?
No need to sell it IMO. Doesn't sound like there's anything majorly wrong with the car, only the previous owner.


You need to find out what code has caused the check engine light to come back on. Many places such as chain auto parts or tire stores will do this for free. Probably it is one of the original two codes again, but it could be unrelated. Maybe you just left the gas cap slightly open or something similar.


After you get the code, go from there. If it flags the map sensor or TPS again, it could mean faulty wiring to that sensor rather than faulty parts. Out-of-the-box thinking is usually required to fix computer codes like this.


This process of replace-clear-drive-repeat is unfortunately pretty much the only way to get to the bottom of things, especially when it takes 65 miles to ';break'; again. My advice is: don't lose heart and don't write off the entire car because of a few minor issues like this. Good luck!Someone HELP, Need advice, what should I do??!!?
Well you need to find out what the new code is. autozone will pull codes for free. this is common when you have TPS and MAP issues. they will hide other problems as the computer looks to these sensors to meter in the air and fuel. I am willing to bet the next code will be for an O2 sensor or something in the emissions. EGR valve. Have the codes pulled to find out where you need to look next. Also as far as the battery, when you work on a car especially when it is computerized, it is a good idea to disconnect the battery prior to working on the car. that way you know your not going to cause additional problem with the ECU and other sensors.
Take your car and get the computer scanned and see what codes come up and go from there, any auto store can scan it and tell you what needs to be fixed or replaced. Easy as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment