Saturday, August 21, 2010

Papillon Puppy Potty Training Advice, Please Help!?

Hmmm so my Papillon puppy is getting progessively WORSE with his


potty training. He has begun to go outside less and less, and go


inside more and more. He even waited until I had put him back in his


kennel to go this morning! (He thinks potty time outside, is actually


playtime with anything that twitches, and he tries to eat everything


with movement...)





I work an 8 hr day, but I leave him in a confined area with puppy


pads. I also leave a small bowl of water for him (should I not be


doing this? I feel guilty leaving him without food as it is!)





I try to get up and let him out first thing in the morning, however,


he's either already gone in his kennel or doesn't go outside. If he


doesn't go outside, I put him back in his kennel momentarily to


continue with my own routine before letting him back out for another


go. (This is where he likes to go... as soon as I walk away...)





Okay so he's pottied this morning, great. Good job, he went in his


bed, on the floor, everywhere but the grass! I'm so thrilled about


this!





Next I let him eat, he tries to play, but I settle him down enough to


get some grub in his tummy. Now I should probably take him out after


he walks away from the bowl, because as soon as he finishes it! Guess


what!? He goes on the floor...





It's into his ';space'; now, which he hates. I know this because when I


get home to let him out, he has gone all over the floor and torn up


whatever pads I had down. (Separation anxiety? That's a scary


thought...) So, I let him out, if he goes, great, he gets a treat, he


gets to eat, and play and I watch him... sometimes he has accidents,


sometimes he's good. Now if he doesn't go, I put him back into this


kennel for a few, then let him back out. It's tricky because he


doesn't seem to want a schedule. He wants to go at his convenience


and it's hard knowing when to take him downstairs. It's like he's


waiting for the moment to squat on my dining room floor...





As far as his kennel... he hates it. I try to give him a small treat


when he gets in it, but five seconds later he's crying. He will not


go in on his own. I cycle being in and out of the kennel, sometimes I


feel he's in it too long, but if I leave him out longer... he sneaks


off and goes somewhere else. It's insane!





He's smart, I will give him that. He has me wrapped around his finger


and I think that is part of the problem. I can't spank his bottom or


shake a can with pennies. He thinks I'm playing! He bites and nips


and jumps... but he has started to sit... when I have a treat in my


hand and give the command. Now the problem is that he won't do it


without my hand hanging above his head.





I've had a puppy before. Once. Our other dog is already trained, she


was when we got her. She doesn't know tricks, but she doesn't have


accidents!





Can anyone give me some advice? I plan to enroll him in an obedience


class but want to get a handle on his potty training.





Oh, and I did hang a bell that I ring everytime we go out... he


hasn't figured it out though... I wish he would.





Thanks!Papillon Puppy Potty Training Advice, Please Help!?
Obedience class is a must, it's great that you are going to it.





He does definitely have the alpha position, and he knows it.





Get rid of the puppy pads - they only encourage going in the house.


Get him on a set schedule. It doesn't matter if he likes it or not, you are the pack leader and he will follow. It may take a little time, but he will listen.


Make sure his crate is large enough for him to stand and lay down comfortably, but no bigger. The more room he has, the more space he has to go potty in. If he goes potty, it will be right in his space, and a couple of times should break him of going inside.


When you take him outside, go to the same area of the yard, and tell him to ';go potty';. Once he does, a lot of praise, and the occasional treat.


When you cannot be with him, he's in his crate.


For training, although many folks believe a treat is the only way to train a dog, this does cause problems once the treat goes away. Teach him his commands without any treats, using you voice, your leash and collar, and if necessary, your hands. Your instructor should also go through proper methods of training.





The hardest thing from what you are saying is that you need to take the lead, and make the dog listen to you. I'm not saying be mean or cruel, but you need to be firm. You are the alpha of the pack, and he needs to understand this.Papillon Puppy Potty Training Advice, Please Help!?
OK, I went to a potty training course at pets mart, and it's working. What u need to do...





First step, Clean out his kennel so he cant smell it.





Second, DONT USE POTTY PADs. They will eventually think to only pee on those. Trust me I started on those, and just took them out and laid a blanket through her whole kennel and made it all her bed, dogs hate going on their bed. So lay a blanket down, he may have a few accidents at first, but u just need to get home, and take him out immediatly, and when u do take him out, pay NO attention to him. Carry him out at first so u can set him down, closely enough so he smells the poo outside, then once he is walking around, just stand their, head up, give no eye contact. He will learn once he pottys, u will love him, and it's good to go outside.





Third, When ur gone, and he has to stay in his kennel, he will be building up his bladder muscals, that why their might be a few mistakes at first, but if it's all his bed, he will not wanna go in their anymore, and will build up his muscals. They dont wanna go in their bed, cuz who wants to live in poo for 8 hours... trust me





Fourth, be consistant. Take him out every 2 or 3 hours. That way he learns more and more. When u take him out, like I said pay NO attention to him till he potty, then lovin, and treat.





If u do those simple things, he will learn





And if he does go inside. Dont rub his nose in it. Thats the worst, cuz then he smells it and things, oh here is my potty.


If u dont see him, just bring him outside as soon as u find out. If u do, see him, have a squirt bottle ready. Squirt him with the jet way, it's not painful, or bad, just startls him so he stops, then take him out right away.





Hope I could help...


Best of luck

No comments:

Post a Comment