Monday, August 23, 2010

Need mechanical help/Advice?

I know this is a long shot but I need help, My husband bought a 1994 Ford Probe GT manual with just over 200 km,with a pretty new battery, now the guy who sold it to him said it probably needs the fuel filter replaced soon, also if when you are driving the fuel cutoff light comes on just push the reset button in the trunk and it will work fine! Should have been the first clue but anyway we drive away about 5 km then the car stops! The 鈥渃heck engine light and fuel cut off light 鈥?comes on, he gets out pushes the button starts the car drives for about 30 sec and it does it again and again and again. Finally we have the car towed home! So now still the same except it wont even start now there is no spark at all while trying to start it, someone said that part they think is the starter gone. Now does anyone have any idea what this could be? How much it is going to cost to fix it? Will a diagnostic be able to find the problem? I live in Scarborough and wondered if there is anywhere that is Reliable ,Honest and Inexpensive that I could take it to get diagnostic tested, I was told it could be up to $70-$90 and then maybe fixed for not an arm and leg. Please if anyone can just give advice or knows what the problem may be or knows somewhere I can take it or someone who could look at it with out me getting ripped off I would love to know. Please email me with anything. Thank-you so much in advanceNeed mechanical help/Advice?
change the fuel filter first it is a cheap and easy fix if it is nearly plugged it would raise the fuel pressure causing the cut out to activate.Need mechanical help/Advice?
i bought a 93 gt and it was doing the same thing. ur gunna need a new distributor for it to stop shutting off while driving. and ur guna need a new starter for it to turn on. my car did the same exact thing urs is doing.

Report Abuse



These fuel pump relay switches SUCK! they are supposed to be able to be reset,but they usually will not rest,but will keep popping like your is doing. someone bumped into my Ford ranger at a stop light,....no damage,but it popped the fuel pump relay switch.I had to have someone phsycally hold the red button down,so I could drive to get the new part. I Installed the new switch and have not had any trouble with it since. The switch cost about $30.00. 2 screws and a plug,and it was installed. I know people who have just eliminated the switch all together,but I DO NOT recommend it. You may want to put in a new fuel filter also (just because of the miles on the car) GOOD LUCK! Rob in PA. P.S. I would check it out,but I don't know where you are?
I used to have a Probe, and if I remember correctly, there is a fuel cutoff switch in the Probed, and in the event of a wreck, flip, etc, it is supposed to turn off the fuel pump. Sounds like this device is faulty since you are having to hit the reset button, which happens, and just needs to be replaced. I cannot remember if the device is located in the trunk or what. It's just been too many years. None the less, if it IS in the trunk, if I remember correctly, the Probe has a tank access port located in the trunk area of the car (you have to take out the carpet, padding, spare tire, etc to access it). My apologies for not being more descriptive.... I sold my Probe back in 1996. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment