Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cheerleading help all tips appreciated-best advice 10 points?

k, I'm really wanting to tryout for cheerleading but I can't do any tricks except a cartwheel and I need help with my front limber. The tryouts aren't until April!!! Which gives me plenty of time to practice. I can do a left and right split but I need help on my center!!! I can't even turn over on my front limber 'cause I'm too freaking scared I will





1) Land on my back or head


2) Not pick my head up at the right time and snap it.








I've never actually turned over!!!








What is expected to make the cheerleading squad








I need some tips-especially on my front limber!!Cheerleading help all tips appreciated-best advice 10 points?
The key to making squads isn't just being able to do the splits! As a former coach, I can tell you you have to be the ';total package!'; :)





If you're preparing for tryouts in the spring, I would get together with someone who is on the squad now or is on a squad somewhere. Have them teach you some cheers/chants. Learn one of their dances and work on jumps. That way you will have something to work on until you learn the tryout material in April.





When you get to tryouts, I'm assuming you will be learning cheers/chants/dances/jumps/stunts... Try to be a ';sponge'; when you're learning material so that you can practice it on your own at home.





It might seem silly, but practice at home in front of a full-length mirror. You know what everything should look like because they showed you at practice, so you can correct yourself by watching in the mirror. Make sure your motions are stiff and precise (very important). Also be sure to use your voice! Don't sing your words or connect them. As we used to call it, use your ';man voice'; or ';outdoor voice';.....speak from your belly and annunciate your words. Project your voice. Nothing sounds worse than a sing-songy cheer or chant! They have the tendancy to sound whiny. This is something else that sounds silly -- but nobody will be watching you while you practice anyway!! Work on your facial expressions. Watch the UCA/UDA competitions on ESPN. Watch the girl's faces and actions. Try to copy that into your performance. For stunting, don't be one of those girls who decides right away that they are going to be a flyer (which is actually more work than being a base).....be willing to try everything. Practice your jumps at home too. If you don't have any tumbling, you have to make sure you get all your points in other places. Oh yeah, smile!!! Act like you want to be there! There's nothing worse than someone trying out, acting like they have better things to do!





Splits are helpful and are good for flexibility, so keep working on them. As far as tumbling, check at your local gym. Many have actual ';tumbling for cheerleading'; classes or just basic tumbling. It is a big plus if you can do a standing back handspring for cheerleading (I'm not sure I know what a front limber is). Some gyms also have performance squads you can join.





Good luck!!!Cheerleading help all tips appreciated-best advice 10 points?
work on getting over your fear of falling...learn some break-falls to land properly. Do you have a landing mat to practice on or the carpet foam they use in cheer competitions? Tumbling classes will help and yoga and resistance stretching. I agree a smile and a lot of confidence will go a LONG way!!! I have lots of cheer friends you can connect w/ on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/allstarmats


Good luck and have SO much fun!!!
wear protection
front limber: work on your bridge before you try a front limber. if you can do a really good bridge (able to pick up a leg without falling, and have really straight strong arms), you won't fall when you go past the handstand as long as you keep your arms really straight and you are looking at your hands the whole time.





splits: all you can do is practice
You might want to consider signing up for a gymnastic class. You will learn some stunts and work on your flexibility while getting help from a professional.





You will need to have tight, sharp, strong motions. Try working on ';yelling'; in a lowered clear, crisp voice.
not everyone has to flip or do a split, so be confident and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment