Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My yorkie eats poop!!!! I need some advice to help her STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

My dear little yorkie eats other dogs poop as well as the cats poop. I need to make her stop, it's disgusting!!! Does anyone have some good advice that will WORK????? She won't eat her own!!! at least she is that smart! HELP!My yorkie eats poop!!!! I need some advice to help her STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Dogs do this. (the actual term is coprophagia.) It's been speculated that it is because of a lack of dietary needs, or from an evolutionary need to eliminate their scent from the area. These theories have been proven wrong. As has the idea that a dog eats their feces because it smells like food. Dogs have an extremely sophisticated sense of smell and believe me, if you can tell the difference between their poo and their food, they can too.





Bottom line is, it's a habit that needs to be curbed as soon as possible. There are several ways to do this:





The most effective by far is a food additive. Your vet can prescribe and/or recomend several. My vet uses a product called Forbid, which you can pick up at most vet hospitals. (all Banfield hospitals carry this brand. Banfield hospitals are located in most Petsmarts. They usually do not require a previous prescription to get you an adequate supply,)





However, if you prefer a cheaper method, you can always try positive reinforcement. (clicker training.) In which you teach your pet simple commands such as ';leave it'; and ';sit'; to distract your pet from the act.





Feel free to e-mail me if you want more information on forbid, or clicker training.My yorkie eats poop!!!! I need some advice to help her STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
There is a certain type of pill or powder that you can get from any common pet store, that you can give your dog that will make her own feces taste bad and will discourage her from continuing to ingest it.





I think they may have it for cats as well.
although gross, it is normal. Apparently pineapple in the diet is a good answer, or one of the commercial things you can buy to add to the diet to make the poop taste bad (as if it could be any worse!)
This link may b helpful to you.





http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content鈥?/a>
my huskey eats poop also. i heard on a pet program that the reason is due to the ';sweet'; smell of the poop.it all depends on the specific diet/food the other dogs are intaking. i havent found anything that will stop mine only training to let her know that what she is doing is wrong but i have to catch her in the act which is sometimes hard if i have her off leash.
If I didn't keep the bathroom door closed at all times, my malamutes thought the cat litter box was their second food dish...I have a few gross stories on this I started to share, but decided to spare you.





Keep them away from it, my dogs are 6 years old and will still do it. Instinct tells them to remove the pottie from animals that are not in their pack that are in their territory.
You can add Ac'cent to your pets' food, the ones that are producing the stool. It's a flavor enhancer found with the spices at the supermarket. Usually it makes the poop taste unpleasant (like eating poop is pleasant....lol) and then with luck she will stop eating the poop because it tastes ';bad';. Ac'cent contains MSG, so you will have to keep an eye out and stop giving it to anyone that doesn't tolerate it well. Try to find a way to keep her out of the catbox too, elevate it or put a baby gate up in the doorway so the cats can jump over to get to the box but the Yorkie can't. Cat poop is pretty tasty if you're a dog, don't know why but it is. It happens even in dogs that are fed ';premium'; foods, sometimes there's a deficiency in their diet, but usually they just like it.
when an animal be a dog or cat eat someone elses feces its an enzyme that they are missing in their system.. be very careful as other dogs feces might have an animal disease in it.. dont let your animal eat any feces hon... i remember one time my jack started eating cat poop.. i realized that she was missing something in her diet.. she is fine now.. its a good dogfood and keep them busy..foxi
try keeping her on a leash and when she heads for a pile of poop sternly tell her to ';Leave it'; and move her along reward her with a small treat when she listens to you. This may be a passing phase so be patient and it may pass. If it is another of your dogs that she is doing this to there are products that you can get from your vet to feed the other dog so that the feces will be even more vile tasting (like it wasn't already) or even putting hot sauce on the poop may help.
I used to work in a pet store, and whenever someone would come up to me and ask for help with this same situation I would simply explain the reason why it's eating poop is because it can still smell food that wasn't fully digested inside of it.


One thing you can try to help with this situation is to buy some rabbit food (those green pellets) and mix in a little with your dogs food, since there is grass in the pelletes it will worsen the smell and taste of your dogs poo causing it to stop eating it.


Don't worry, this is only a temporary process, so you don't have to worry about feeding it rabbit food forever.
lol my dog used to to the same thing. She used to love to eat cat poo and i agree it is totally gross. Animals will generally eat poo because they lack something in their diet (minerals, vitamins stuff like that) and they can get them from the poo so they eat it. How old is your dog because my dog grew out of it after she was about 1 1/2 yrs old. Give your dog denta bones and other dog chews and bones and hopefully your dog will forget about the poop and move on.
I have 3 chihuahuas and I had that problem with one (the oldest) He would mostly eat the poop after I had given them treats. I think the poop still tasted like the treat. I had to give them a ';medication'; that I got at petsmart. Ask anyone at a pet store and they should know what you are talking about. But Im not sure if it will work with cats, and I hope your yorkie is eating poop from other animals in your home and not just random stuff.





With little dogs, their moms teach them to eat their poop, she eats their poop. Hopefully this helps. I think I had to give it to him three or four times before he stopped. Every once in a great while he still does it. He is now 6yrs old

No comments:

Post a Comment