Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I am currently failing English. I need some advice on how to improve and sites and books that may help?

I'm in secondary high school and the moment. Year 9/10





English as in writing, grammar, vocabulary etc.I am currently failing English. I need some advice on how to improve and sites and books that may help?
first of all....start reading books everday like 30min-1 hour also try after u read a book test you self about the book and reading helps you to understand more vocabulary and grammar..I am currently failing English. I need some advice on how to improve and sites and books that may help?
Well, English is my second language (when I was little I had terrible broken english), and now in highschool the same year as you I'm in the top Literature class. All I can say is pretty much just read a lot of books and do a lot of writing.


It doesn't matter what you read, magazines, comics, thin or thick novels, every bit will help your english. Although if you read classics, they will help you more because the english is more structured and formal, whereas today's books have a lot of slang in them.


Also creative writing is a big help; try taking an after school creative writing class, it's quite fun; you can write about whatever you want, but the teacher can help you on sentence structures and critical analysis.


Learning how to critically analyse poems and short stories are a major part of english as they come up in exams often in the form of comprehensions.


Hope this helps.
There can be many reasons why a student doesn't grasp the basics of grammar and spelling. The fact you're concerned is a positive sign though.



When I took English, I gritched at each successive teacher... They all said the same thing. You've grasped it. Others don't. My mother was a very intelligent woman, but she said, I seen my friend today... all her life. No matter how many times I told her, she never got it. Nor did I ever figure it out.



Later, as an English teacher, I fought the same battle. Some students just never would get it. And I never figured out why. Many of them didn't care.... But some who did care continued to make the same mistakes over and over. Often, only minutes apart. To you I offer the best advice I can. Talk to your teachers... principals... counselours. They care and they can help. Read avidly, but study what you read. Remember the message of Pygmalian.

No comments:

Post a Comment